* Medicare Rebates are available for all TeleHealth Sessions until 31 December 2021
Better Access to Mental Health Care
The Federal Government introduced Mental Health Medicare Items on 1 November 2006 that enabled greater access to Psychologists and psychological support services for all Australians.
Every Australian is eligible for a new or renewed Mental Health Care Plan [a GP referral] each Calendar Year that is from 1 January to 31 December annually. A valid and current GP referral is required to claim the medicare rebate.
Click on the link below for more information from Medicare regarding MBS Items covered and the referral process.
From 9 October 2020 until 30 June 2022, 10 additional individual psychological therapy sessions,
previously available only to people whose movement was restricted by a state or territory public health
order, are now available each calendar year to all eligible patients under the existing Better Access to
Psychiatrists, Psychologists and General Practitioners through the MBS (Better Access) initiative.
This link provides information on the GP MENTAL HEALTH CARE TREATMENT MBS ITEMS 2700, 2701, 2712, 2715 and 2717 and includes an overview of the items, patient and provider eligibility, what activities are involved in providing services rebated by these items, links to other Medicare items and additional claiming information.
The preparation of an initial Mental Health Care Plan is billed using MBS Item numbers 2700, 2701, 2715 and 2717. A review of the Mental Health Care Plan is billed using MBS Item number 2712.
Additional Mental Health Medicare Items
The Federal Government introduced additional Mental Health Medicare Items on 17 January 2020 to support all Australians affected by Bushfires. This also enabled faster access to psychological support services by removing the requirement of a referral from a GP and making sessions available via video conferencing.
Additional Mental Health Medicare Items were introduced on 13 March 2020 to provide easy access to Telehealth Consultations provided by telephone or video conference to support recover and slow the infection rates of the XXXXX-XX virus. These items can be claimed under your Mental Health Plan provided by your GP.
- MBS Item No. 80110 – Session 50+ mins – Individual ‘Focussed Psychological Strategies’ ………….$87.45
- MBS Item No. 80111 – Session 50+ mins – Telehealth ‘Focussed Psychological Strategies’ …………$87.45
- MBS Item No. 80120 – Minimum 60 mins – Group ‘Focussed Psychological Strategies’ ……………..$32.60
- MBS Item No. 80010 – Session 50+ mins – Psychological Therapy ……………………………………$128.40
[MBS Item No. 80010, can only be provided by Psychologists who have a practice endorsement in clinical psychology registered with the Psychology Board of Australia. This endorsement is needed for severe or clinical mental illness management. The higher medicare rebate is available to improve access to support for those individuals coping with extreme mental health conditions.]
- MBS Item No. 91110 – Session 50+ mins ‘Focussed Psychological Strategies’, in person ………….$87.45
- MBS Item No. 91111 – Session 50+ mins ‘Focussed Psychological Strategies’, via video …………..$87.45
* Available until 31 March 2021
Medicare Rebates for Additional Focussed Psychological Strategies for Lockdown Areas ~ 10 Sessions
CLICK ON THE LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION
- MBS Item No. 93350 – Session 50+ mins ‘Focussed Psychological Strategies’, in person ………….$87.45
- MBS Item No. 93351 – Session 50+ mins ‘Focussed Psychological Strategies’, via video …………..$87.45
- MBS Item No. 93352 – Session 50+ mins ‘Focussed Psychological Strategies’, on phone ………….$87.45
FOR ONLINE MEDICARE CLAIMS
Visit MEDICARE ONLINE CLAIMING to register.
Online Medicare Claiming is not available for Psychological Support Services at this time, however it is possible to make an online claim using your Smart Phone and the Express Plus Medicare App. See below for more details.
FOR SMART PHONE MEDICARE CLAIMS
Your Medicare Receipt is in PDF format. You can find this by click on the link in your Medicare Receipt Email and scroll down to the PDF link. You can then save the file, screenshot the page or print to screen then upload to your MyGov account to make your claim.
- You will be provided with a Medicare Receipt at the time of your session via email.
- You register an Online Medicare Claims account
- Create your account, go to http://www.my.gov.au. This is an Online Hub that will let you add the different services you are currently using such as Medicare or Centrelink
- Get the Express Plus Medicare Smart Phone App and set up with my.gov.au login details from Google Play Store
- Now you are all set to claim Psych Services using the App!
- Use the SQUARE link to open your Medicare Receipt in PDF format, add your claiming details and submit
- Medicare Rebate provided to you within 24-48 Hours
FOR PAPER BASED MEDICARE CLAIMS
- You will be provided with a Medicare Receipt at the time of your session via email which you can print out.
- You can then post your Medicare Receipt together with your Medicare Claim Form to …
GPO BOX 9822
MELBOURNE VIC 3000
Download a Medicare Claim Form
FOR IN PERSON MEDICARE CLAIMS